As most people know by now, President Obama made an off-handed comment about Special Olympics that has many people talking. He apologized immediately, but there are many people who are still quite unhappy about it. Here are 5 things he could do to make up for his gaffe:
1. Meet with the Arc of the United States as they have requested in a press release today.
2. Fully fund Medicaid waivers to end waiting lists for services people with disabilities.
3. Give a speech to the nation like his famous speech on race that calls all Americans to stop using the "R" word and stop treating people with disabilities and their families like second-class citizens. Help the public to understand why his comment and the use of the R word hurts.
4. Take that Special Olympics bowler up on his offer to teach him how to bowl better.
5. Get the entire Democratic party involved in addressing the problems of people with developmental disabilities.
All you have to do is search "Special Olympics" and "Retarded" in Twitter, and read the hateful comments by people responding to news articles about his gaffe to know that it is time for everyone to learn from the President's truly terrible mistake.
13 hours ago